Saturday, October 2, 2010

Italian Sausage Subs

Time for my once a month home cooked meal. The husband is sick, so doesn't want to go out. So, I have to cook or order in. I actually have the food to cook, so decide I'll do it.



1 pack Hot Italian Sausages - Boiled and sliced. Mild is always an option here, as well

1 jar tomato sauce - We use Ragu Traditional, you can use whatever you like, if you are feeling real frisky, make your own.

2 tsp diced garlic - I use the kind that comes already chopped. You can use fresh.

Lots and lots of shredded mozzarella cheese

6 pack of buns - I use french bread rolls from the bakery because they have a nice crusty crust. Also please note that in my house at least 4 of these will be thrown away eventually.



Boil sausages. You can pull the skin and brown this like you would ground beef, but that's a lot like work to me, so I just boil them and then slice them. This process can also be done a day or two before if necessary. I don't like to do too much cooking in one day, it ruins my chi.
Okay, take a large pot, mix tomato sauce, garlic and sausage. Cover, go break up cat fight, that for some reason husband can't break up. Even though, he's just sitting there, staring at the TV. Separate cats, put bad cat in room by himself until he can calm down. Check on sausage mixture, stir, recover, go to fridge get beer. Husband wants to know what happened with the cats, that was 10 minutes ago and every body is fine. Allow bad cat to come out of time-out. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Once mixture is nice and bubbly, slice rolls open, scoop out some of the bread - you need a well for your mixture. Put plenty of sausage mixture onto buns. Cover with lots and lots of shredded cheese. Place in oven until cheese is bubbly and melted. Remove from oven. Place on plates and put chopped banana peppers (courtesy of sister) or if you are like me, you can use jalapeno's. Tell husband, who for some reason just called his mother, that dinner is ready. Wait a minute to see if he is going to get off the phone. He is not. So get your plate, your beer and go sit outside. The leftovers of this mixture make one badass pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment